All applicants must complete the Graduate School’s online application form, which includes:
- A series of forms requiring personal, demographic and background information
- Reasons for Graduate Study/Statement of Purpose: describe your current degree goals and reason for selecting the UW-Madison Botany program. Upload your statement as a separate document (Adobe PDF or MS Word preferred).
- Current CV: Upload a separate document (Adobe PDF preferred)
- Unofficial copy of transcripts. This does not replace the need to submit official transcripts.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation (references from faculty or supervisors who are familiar with your academic, research and/or professional qualifications) to be submitted online
- Nonrefundable application fee payable to the Office of Graduate Admissions
- Some students are eligible for an application fee waiver through The Graduate School: https://grad.wisc.edu/apply/fee-grant/If a student still has hardship to pay for the application fee and does not qualify for a fee grant from The Graduate School, they can contact the graduate coordinator directly. The Botany department has a few fee grants available per year for students in need.
- Supplemental Application (accessed after you initiate the application process) that includes:
- Botany Supplemental Application: complete online form (preview the supplemental application questions).
- Official GRE scores (optional) sent directly from ETS to UW-Madison via electronic transmission (Institution code: 1846)
International applicants: Every applicant whose native language is not English or whose undergraduate instruction was not in English, must submit official TOEFL scores (codes: Institution code: 1846).
Send official transcripts from all institutions of higher learning attended for credit to:
firstname.lastname@example.org (for electronic)
Graduate Admissions (paper if from outside US)
232 Bascom Hall
500 Lincoln Drive
Madison, WI 53706
Note: International applicant financial information will only be requested by the Graduate School after the departmental recommendation for admission.